Country House in the Surrey Hills
The elevated site was formerly occupied by a hall in the style of Robert Adam and later replaced by a Victorian villa. Owing to structural problems, the house fell into disrepair and was subsequently demolished in 1959. Although they have long since disappeared, the locations of the former houses can still be made out by the remnants of walls, terraces and gardens.
Although an application for a contemporary replacement house was approved in 2000, the owners felt that a hall designed in the Robert Adam style would be more appropriate. OSP redesigned the 6,000 square foot house in the style of the former 1783 Adam Hall including Doric columns, stucco elevations, colonnaded courts, square and round arched sliding sash windows, tall “book-end” chimneys and parapet slate roofs, together with a formal, stepped garden which took advantage of far-reaching views over the Surrey Hills.